Microneedling is collagen induction therapy. It is a procedure that involves many surgical-grade stainless steel, sterile needles that microscopically pierce your skin at 90 degrees. The microneedling procedure firms, tones, tightens and rejuvenates your skin, making it more youthful. It can also treat some scars, large pores & wrinkles.
It is virtually painless, though we can use a topical numbing gel for added comfort. Your skin can feel warm and tender.
Microneedling is very similar to Mesotherapy but rather than individual skin punctures, a collection of small needles simultaneously create small punctures on your skin. As a consequence, the repair process releases numerous growth and healing factors that stimulate new collagen to be deposited under the skin surface. The repair process will actually extend over a twelve to sixteen week period after treatment.
Reparative and nutrient-rich dermal products are massaged into your treated skin and are absorbed to replenish your skin. This stimulates optimal collagen production. The object of the procedure is improvement in appearance, not perfection.
What Skin Conditions Can Be Treated With Our Microneedling Derma Pro Dermal Pen?
- Acne scars, chicken pox scars & surgical scars older than 6 months
- Dull skin
- Enlarged Pores
- Hair Loss
- Hand, neck & décolletage rejuvenation
- Lines & Wrinkles
- Naso-labial lines
- Smoker’s lines
- Stretch Marks
- Sun-damaged skin
- Thin, crepey skin
How Your Skin Cells Repair With Microneedling
The small skin punctures and revitalising substances absorbed by your skin, stimulate your skin cells, causing increased production of collagen and elastin fibres and neutralising free radicals. The biological metabolism of the skin becomes like that of youthful skin as it renews itself. New collagen can fill depressed scars and wrinkles from the base up to the surface.
Results are usually seen in in 2-3 months as the skin begins to repair and renew with repeated treatments.
What Are The Expected Outcomes Of Treatment?
- Reduced appearance of acne scarring
- Even skin texture and tone
- Plump, rejuvenated and refreshed appearance of skin
- Reduced appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Thickens the dermis
- Better and faster absorption of cosmeceutical skincare
How Does the Microneedling Pen Differ From Dermal Rolling?
Microneedling is superior to dermal rolling as the microneedling pen makes smaller, more precise punctures into the skin. The roller needles pierce the skin at an angle, which causes a tear effect on the skin resulting in more bleeding and greater damage to your epidermis.
How To Prepare For Microneedling
- You must stay out of the sun for 1 week before your clinical skin needling treatment. When exposed to the sun you must use 30+ Sun Protection Factor (SPF) sun
- Avoid solariums as they are unsafe.
- Avoid topical fake tans for 2 to 4 weeks prior to your clinical skin needling treatment. Please advise your treating team member if you have carried out a fake tan on your face, as your treatment may need to be postponed if you have a tan.
- Prescription strength exfoliant creams (such as Retin A, glycolic acid and alphahydroxy acid (AHA) must be avoided for 2 to 4 days prior to your microneedling visit.
- Inform us of any allergies prior to your treatment.
- Advise immediately if you have had herpes cold sores.
- You MUST avoid any cosmetic enhancement injectable treatments for 2 weeks after treatment (includes dermal fillers, thread lifts anti-wrinkle treatments)
If you have had the following procedures, you must wait a minimum time before being able to have microneedling.
- Face Peels: 2+ weeks
- Facial fillers: 4+ weeks
- HydraFacial: 2+ weeks
- Laser/IPL: 3+ weeks
- LED Light Therapy: Is recommended immediately after microneedling for superior results
- Microdermabrasion: 3+ weeks
- Tattoo Removal in treatment area: 6+ months
How Often Should I Have The Microneedling Procedure?
You will require repeated treatments, usually 3 to 6 treatments performed over a 5-12 week period depending on your skincare needs. Treatments are usually 1-3 weeks apart for normal treatments and 4-6 weeks for more intense treatments. Treatments are combined with other dermal therapy procedures such as Hydrafacial 2 weeks prior and LED Light Therapy on the day and as part of your treatment plan. Optimal results are achieved when combined with 6-12 sessions of LED Light Therapy.
It is vital to ensure that your dermal therapy treatment plan is followed so that you can achieve the best skin of your life. At your Skin + Care Consultation, Dr. Vicky and her team will analyse your skincare needs and recommend tailored dermal treatments and skincare products for you.
Microneedling is not suitable if you:
- Active skin infections
- Active Acne
- Blood clotting problems
- Skin with many raised moles
- Skin with warts
- Keloid scars in the treatment area
- Diabetes (and we do not have doctor’s written permission)
- Are taking:
- Blood thinners
What can I expect after my microneedling procedure?
- Redness & swelling: The skin may remain red for three to four days after. As the skin heals the erythema will resolve.
- Bruising may occur as a result of treatment.
- Hyper-Pigmentation: You may experience hyper-pigmentation of the skin surface (especially if the skin is not protected from the sun’s rays). Hyper-Pigmentation may resolve in several weeks post treatment and can be treated with topical creams/lotions/serums/gels.
- Herpes: If you suffer from a history of herpes simplex (cold sores) you may experience a flare up of the disease. This is possible with any type of injection.
- Infection: Infections are rare but possible.
- Bleeding: Minimal short-term bleeding may occur during treatment.
- Numbness: Your skin may feel numb for 1 to 3 hours post treatment due to the numbing agent being applied to the skin pre treatment.
What Should I Do After My Microneedling Procedure?
- Please avoid using any products with glycolic acid, retinol or acids as active ingredients.
- Avoid touching or rubbing your face as your skin will likely feel sensitive and to avoid adding germs to your skin.
- Avoid applying makeup for 24 hours. Only mineral makeup can be applied 6 hours post treatment to camouflage any redness.
- Avoid sun exposure for 2 weeks. This is to avoid possible post operative hyper-pigmentation.
- Apply 30+ SPF sun block protection at all times over treated area before, during and after treatment.
- Additional treatments may be required in order to achieve maximum results.
- Mild swelling and/or redness (erythema) may occur, usually lasting 2 to 3 days. In some cases, prolonged redness, grazing or bruising may occur. As the skin heals these rare side effects and will go away.
- Do not pick or scratch the skin as this may cause unwanted side effects such as infection, pigmentation.
- If the treated area feels heated, use cool compresses and place treated area in front of a fan or air conditioner. Please keep treated area as cool as possible.
- Until the redness has calmed down, you should avoid generating body heat through vigorous exercise, allowing the skin time to heal.
- As the skin can become photosensitive, direct sunlight to the treated area MUST be avoided before, during and after clinical skin needling treatments.
- Daily application of SPF30+ sunscreen is recommended to prevent hyper-pigmentation. If hyper-pigmentation occurs, the skin may resolve in several weeks post treatment and can be treated with topical applications.
- In the rare case of blistering or infection, a course of antibiotics or cortisone cream is recommended. A prescription for either of these can be obtained from your local General
- If prone to herpes simplex (cold sores), treat any flare up of herpes simplex (cold sores) as recommended by your General Practitioner.
- Numbing agents should wear off 1 to 3 hours after being applied on the skin pre clinical skin needling treatment.
- Lightly pat and remove gently any bleeding that may occur during and after treatment with a clean and soft cotton pad. You may wish to use your skin care products to cleanse the skin.
- Six hours post treatment ONLY mineral makeup can be used to camouflage any erythema.
- Mineral and vitamins serums should be used to stimulate optimal collagen.
- Recommended skin care MUST be used correctly according to instructions before and after.
- Additional treatments may be required in order to achieve maximum results. Please Note: Some imperfections are not amenable to microneedling.